New York Public Library Turns 100!!
By LitNews | May 23, 2011 No Comments
Happy 100th birthday on May 23rd, 2011 to the New York Public Library!
- It has a collection of more than 50 million items and 20 millions books
- The stone Lions outside of the library have names: Patience and Fortitude
- It holds copies of the Gutenberg Bible
Equally exciting is how the library has been, and will be, celebrating its centennial birthday:
- Over the weekend of May 20th, 2011, five hundred people spent the night at the library using a smartphone app to search for artifacts such as the cane found after Virginia Woolf drowned herself and the taxidermied paw of Charles Dickens’ cat (does that get an ewww, or what?)
- The centennial exhibit will run through Dec. 31 and it will offer highlights of the copy of the Declaration of Independence handwritten by Thomas Jefferson and Malcolm X’s journal.